Tuesday, December 27, 2005


I recently took a trip to Japan to acquire my working visa. I flew into Fukuoka and stayed there for 3 days. My trip was lots of fun and it really gave me an interesting glance at a different culture. When I hear people say "asian" culture, I kind of laugh, because the cultures of Japan and Korea (for example), are so incredibly different that it's like night and day. There are buttloads of differences between the two, and I can't even get into all of the things that I saw that were different. The people are different in their manners (Japanese people are more reserved, by-the-book, and have two separate faces - a public one and a private one), in their style (Koreans are very high-fashion, but tend to be more ubiquitous, while Japanese are more diverse in general - they don't dye their hair when they go grey, they opt for coloured suits, shirts, and ties instead of the Korean standard black suit with white shirt, and they are much more likely to have a wild hair colour when they are younger), their architecture (Korean architecture is largely utilitarian, made almost entirely of concrete, while Japanese architecture pays more attention to aesthetics), and even their attention to foreigners (Koreans are much more openly curious and inquisitive, giving them either a rude or friendly disposition to foreigners, while Japanese are more reserved, and cautious about forming friendships - so I'm told, because I didn't spend enough time meeting any Japanese...). Wow. That was a long sentence. Here is Fukuoka International Airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home